Saturday 10 December 2011

The new Chillis :D


As your probably know, the Chillis’ new album –“I’m With You” has released…….
I'm With You
And they are also being inducted into the Rock’n’ Roll Hall of Fame in 2012….the 4-piece from California, consisting of Anthony Klieds, Chad Smith, The Flea and new guitarist – Josh Klinghoffer, have released two singles from their album –‘The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie” and “Monarchy of Roses”, the opening number.


This is not a typical RHCP album……Klinghoffers style varies from Frusciante’s and in my opinion this  is for the better, but this is a long call from By The Way. Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ style is similar – punchy, heavy bass lines (which almost drive the song),melodic guitar riffs mixed with 
Anthony’s powerful vocals makes for a exotic album, which varies a lot.

Between 2006 and I’m With You a lot has changed –

Josh Klinghoffer
The Flea returned to music school, learned the trumpet, the band went to Ethiopia and Josh Klinghoffer joined, their trip to Ethiopia inspired them to right a song which is of the same name……it too starts off with a chunky bass line……but behind the mesmerizing vocals, is a complex time signature (the bass is played in 7/4), one of the only RHCP songs to have an off time signature. Then rain dance(as it is popularly called) is a great song. No complex time signatures, no nothing – just 4 almost 50 year olds jamming on top of a building in L.A. The song consists of a funky bass riff and the use of a cowbell by drummer Chad Smith makes a peculiar sound.

Factory of Faith is probably my second favorite track of this brilliant, diverse record, my being Did I let You Know. I feel it is a chill song, a song that you listen to on the beach, admiring the sunset. It is one of the songs in which the bass is slightly overshadowed by the lyrical masterpiece and dreamy lead guitar riffs. It also features the Flea playing the trumpet and has a catchy drum beat and guitar solo.

All in all….in my opinion this is a break away from the old Chilli’s and maybe the Red Hot Chilli peppers are now more technically intellectual…and definitely more diverse in their music……you’ll will think I’m probably sayin this cause I wasn’t born when Blood Sugar Sex Magik released ,and that I have no taste in R*H*C*P*,but trust me…this album is brilliant and offers a range of sounds.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to rant about the Blood...Sugar...Sex...Magic thing. But will reserve rants for after I have heard the new album :)

    Keep writing...maybe you may get oldies to try out some new things ;)

    ReplyDelete